As a wedding planner in San Antonio I’ve seen (and planned) my share of wedding ceremonies. When I got married over 13 years ago, it was rare to have a ceremony where a dog was the best man or a nontraditional song was played as the bride walked down the aisle. Now a days, couples are opting for the “not so traditional” ceremony..and it’s a blast!
If you find yourself staring into space trying to figure out a ceremony that’s different than others here are a few ideas:
- Play a nontraditional song down the aisle. Are you a diehard James Taylor or Beatles fan? Why not dance your way down the aisle to one of their fun numbers?
- Ditch the traditional program and opt for something more creative. A program is an important element for keeping your guests well educated about your wedding steps so why not make it memorable by using a program fan? This is an excellent option for outside weddings to ward off the Texas summer heat.
- Choose an offbeat boutonniere. Who says that the groom and his men have to wear flowers on the left side of their chest? Why not change it up a bit and pin on something unique. If your groom is into golf why not pin on a golf tee. Is he a beach lover? Perhaps a small shell or starfish will make the ceremony memorable for all.
- Select a non-traditional wedding ring ‘pillow’. There is nothing written in stone that says your ring bearer must bring the rings on a pillow. Why not add some flare and have him carry them tied to your favorite book?
- Have your bridesmaid sign the bottoms of your shoes before you walk down the aisle. An old wives tale tells us that the last signature still remaining after the evening is over will be the next one to walk down the aisle. This is a fun and exciting way to involve your bridesmaid in the festivities and may or may not take the place of throwing your bouquet.
Whatever it is that you choose your wedding ceremony can certainly be unique. You’re not faux pa for breaking tradition. It’s being done all over the world.
If you’re still looking for inspiration, give us a call at 210-595-9263 and let’s chat about some ideas. Don’t forget that we’re here to help your San Antonio wedding be exactly how you envision it.